Friday, April 10, 2009

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month and there are many, many wonderful poetry books available at the Newport Public Library. Here are a few new books you may want to check out:

The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System by Jack Prelutsky

On Fabled Gazook

On fabled Gazook
You'll be showered with praise,
The toast and delight
Of the local gourmets.

The cooks of Gazook
Will reduce you to powder,
And use you to flavor
Their savory chowder.

Brother's & Sisters: Family Poems by Eloise Greenfield

A Sister Coming Home

All summer long,
I've had no one to tease,
my sister spent the summer
with our Aunt Louise.

I've saved up all my teases,
don't know which to choose,
should I hide her bedspread
or put peanuts in her shoes?

Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat edited by Nikki Giovanni

Books (by Eloise Greenfield)

I've got
books on the bunk bed
books on the chair
books on the couch
And every old where
But I want more books
just can't get enough
want more books about
All kinds of stuff...

No comments: