Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Saffy's Angel book covers

Hello everyone,

I hope you are enjoying Saffy's Angel. I read it two weekends ago and really enjoyed it. I think there will be a lot for us to discuss! For those of you interested in joining the Book Buddies Book Club, it's never too late. Just call the Children's Department at 847-8720 ext. 204 or email me directly at cantonio@newportlibraryri.org to sign up. I still have plenty of copies of Saffy's Angel available so feel free to come in and get one today!

As I was looking around online for information about Saffy's Angel for our meeting, I noticed that there have been many different covers published. I always enjoy seeing different covers and thinking about the ways in which they might change a person's perception of the book. We've all been told not to judge a book by it's cover but the fact remains that the cover is often times the first impression you get of a book. Therefore, it's very important! Here are a few of the different covers for Saffy's Angel that I found:





I believe this is the original hardcover edition first published in 2002. This is the one most RI public libraries seem to have...










A hardcover large print edition in 2003.













A paperback import edition (the author is English and the book was originally published in England).










Another edition with the "winner" sticker. Saffy's Angel was the 2002 Whitbread Award winner (a British award).









A more recent paperback edition...








So what do you think? What do each of the covers "say" to you? What sort of impression do they each make? How are they similar and how are they different? Is there one that makes you want to read the book more than another? Which is your favorite?

No comments: